With summer winding down, we’re trying to cram in as many refreshing drinks as we can until the colder months hit. That’s totally normal, right? Don’t get me wrong, I love me some cozy winter drinks but I know that in a few short months I’m going to be longing for the days of sunshine and a cold, bright cocktail! I love fresh, summery and not-too-sweet drinks in the warm weather and this margarita really hits the spot.
Every time I make this at a BBQ, our friends love it. Even the ones that think they may not like the heat turn into fans. I have to confess, one of my favorite drinks is a Salty Dog. Basically it’s grapefruit juice, vodka and a salty rim, so it’s no surprise that I love this as much as I do.
It’s pretty safe to say that everyone likes a fresh margarita, but add a little heat to that? Now you’ve got yourself something extra special. 🙂
- For Honey + Cayenne Simple Syrup:
- ½ C. honey
- ½ C. water
- ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne pepper depending on your taste
- To make drink:
- 3 shots of fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 shot of tequila
- 1 shot of honey + cayenne simple syrup
- 1 shot of Cointreau
- 2 small slices of jalepeño (optional)
- *Optional - Margarita salt mixed with a tad of cayenne to salt rim
- Combine honey, water and cayenne pepper in a saucepan and bring to simmer. Cool in fridge.
- In a shaker add grapefruit juice, honey, cayenne syrup, Cointreau, jalepñeo slices & ice.
- Shake away!
- Strain over ice and garnish with a lime or jalepeño slice.