Cauliflower + Bacon Gratin
A Cauliflower + Bacon Gratin from The Whole Smiths. A MUST-make!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 head of cauliflower broken down into small florets about 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 slices Farmer John California Natural bacon cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour see other options in post
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 [1/4] cups milk almond milk works too
- 1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup crushed pork rinds
Preheat the oven to 425* F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add the cauliflower florets, olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt into a large bowl and toss to coat. Spread the cauliflower onto the baking sheet and roast for 25 - 30 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and golden brown on the edges.
Add the bacon pieces to a saucepan over medium heat and cook until they are lightly crisped, about 7 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain the bacon grease. Do not clean the entire pan but instead leave the leftover bits of bacon in the pan.
Heat the saucepan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot add the butter and let it melt. Once the butter is melted slowly sprinkle the gluten-free flour into the butter, constantly whisking. You will have a thick paste known as a roux. Add your milk to the roux, constantly whisking until it is smooth.
Add in the cheeses and continue to whisk until it is melted and smooth.
Once the cauliflower is done roasting, add it back into a large bowl and pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower. Add the thyme and bacon and stir to combine until the cauliflower is completely coasted.
Add the cauliflower to a baking dish and top with the crushed chicharrones.
Reduce the oven temperature to 375*F. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the dish starts to bubble.