IS there any flavor combination that doesn’t make a good fritter? I mean, they can go both savory or sweet. A side dish or dessert, you name it. Even this one, a Carrot + Apple Fritter. It’s a bit ambiguous. Is it a dessert? Is it a dinner side? Well, I’m here to tell you… it can go either way.
Personally I don’t like an overly sweet dessert all of the time and this would be a nice treat. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t taste like a sweet carrot cake, so please don’t expect that. But there is a soft sweetness to it that I enjoy. You can also serve it up with a honey butter if you’re looking to add a bit of sweetness to it.
I’m excited to get to partner up again with my friends at North Coast Organic again on this recipe. You’ve seen in my previous recipes that I love using their ciders and apple cider vinegar for my recipes, as evidenced by my Apple Cider Braised Chicken + Collards or Gluten-Free Apple Bars. But did you know their apple sauce is equally amazing in recipes?
It’s important to me that the ingredients I use in a recipe are good and flavorful. Tomato sauce should taste like tomatoes. Apple sauce needs to taste like apples. Like all of North Coast Organic’s products, it does indeed. SO wether you’re eating it straight out of the jar or in a recipe you’re going to get a great apple flavor. Make sure to head to their website and use their store finder to find their products near you.
While I was developing the recipe for these, I wanted to make sure it was kid-friendly. So despite the fact that there’s some ginger added into these it’s a light flavor and the kids still gobbled them up. With that being said, I’m going to say they’d make a perfect after school snack!
It’s always a plus when an after school snack also makes a great grown-up snack, wouldn’t ‘cha say?
- 2 carrots, grated
- ½ apple, peeled and grated
- ¾ C. gluten-free flour
- 1 egg
- ⅓ C. apple sauce
- ¼ C. pecorino romano grated
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ C. coconut oil
- Lay several paper towels out onto a large cutting board
- Spread about ¼ of grated carrots and apples over top and cover with additional paper towels
- Press gently to remove extra moisture and add to bowl
- Continue to do the same with remainder or carrots and apples
- Add flour, egg, apple sauce, pecornio, garlic, salt and pepper to carrots and apples
- Using hands, combine well
- Heat a large dutch oven or frying pan to medium heat and add oil
- Once oil is hot form a small 2 inch patty of fritter mix into the palm of your hand
- Press to form a flat pancake and add to oil
- Cook each side for approximately 3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through
- Remove and place on paper towels to cool
- Continue to do this for the remaining fritter mix