I’ve come to realize that MOST soups end up being fairly clean on their own. Perhaps not a cheddar beer soup or a clam chowder, but so many others naturally consist of a broth, meat and veggies. At the very least, they’re easy to convert into a healthy bowl or comforting goodness. And that’s exactly what I did with this Chicken Tortilla-less Soup.
When my friend Monica from the Movement Menu was up visiting as part of a blogger’s field trip we decided to create a clean version of a Chicken Tortilla Soup. Obviously I had to remove the cheese and tortilla chips that one usually finds in a traditional version but I also wanted to add in some additional veggies and nutrients like kale and sweet potatoes.
Two things to note. One, try roasting your own whole chicken for this recipe. You’re bound to have leftover chicken to use in other recipes through the week and it just pain tastes better. If you’re in need of one, I reccomend my Whole Smiths’ Whole Roasted Chicken. However, it’s not a necessity and if you prefer to use a rotisserie chicken from the store, by all means go for it. Just make sure to check the labels on it. Whole Foods has great, clean chickens without funky additives. As far as a mexican seasoning, use whatever you have on hand or find at the grocery store. There is not one specific brand I recommend. As an alternative you can Google “mexican seasoning” and make your own based on what you already have on your spice rack.
The final result came out delicious! It tastes just like any other tortilla soup you may have had in the past but now you can gulp it down knowing you’re fueling your body with nothing but good stuff. I say that’s a win-win all around.
And ever better news it that it’s Whole30 compliant for you.
Bon appetite friends!
chicken tortilla-less soup
Yield 4 -6
A clean, gluten, grain and dairy free version of the original Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- 1 Tbsp. ghee / butter / cooking oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1/4 C. poblano peppers finely chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 TBSP mexican seasoning
- 16 oz diced tomatos (I prefer San Marzanos)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 4 C. shredded chicken
- 32 oz organic chicken broth
- 2 C. chopped kale
- 1 sweet potato diced and roasted
- 1/4 C. chopped cilantro + more for garnish
- 1 avocado diced (optional)
- Heat a large stock pot to medium heat and add ghee / butter or oil
- Once oil is heated, add onions and cook until translucent and lightly browned
- When onions are cooked though add poblano peppers, red peppers and cook until softened
- Once soft, add the garlic and cook until tender making sure not to burn
- Add mexican seasoning and toss to coat
- Add can of diced tomatoes and green chiles and cook for 3 minutes
- Once cooked add shredded chicken and chicken broth / stock
- Bring pot to a boil, once boiling turn heat down add kale and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add sweet potatoes, cilantro and stir
- Heat for another 5 minutes
- And you're done!
- Serve with avocado on top if you'd like
Courses dinner / main