This week’s of Item of the Week at local Whole Foods is Portuguese wine. Buuuut I just made some sangria for you so the marketing manager I work with had the brilliant idea to pair it with a Portuguese dish! I paired this soup with Perequito and it was delicious.
When researching Portuguese food I realized it would be hard to paleo-fy. Until a friend mentioned this little dish. Basically it’s a Portuguese kale and potato soup. I’ve been noticing lately that white potatoes have been bothering me lately so I reduced the amount down to just three small red potatoes and replaced the rest with some parsnip. The parsnip added a bit of sweetness while the potato was still there to add some substance to the broth.
For the sausage I added linguisa but chorizo makes a great alternative as well.
And you know what? I have to be honest, I was nervous my kids wouldn’t eat it because it’s predominately kale. (And hot dogs as Teagan would like to say) But they gobbled it up! Like super quick, no complaints. So score!!
So this is a great way to pack in some kale especially when we’ve been resided ourselves to just adding it to smoothies because we’re sick out it. (Hi Dolly!) It’s also freakishly easy and quick. SO give it a go and let me know what you think!
caldo verde - kale soup
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 3 red potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 lb. parsnip peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 links of linguisa sliced
- 1 lb. chopped kale
- 2 spring or green onions thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- In a large by flashmall" href="#">stock pot, heat olive oil to medium and add chopped onions
- Cook until translucent
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 by flashmall" href="#">minutes
- Once onions and garlic are cooked, add chicken stock to pot and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, add potatoes and parsnips
- Cook until tender, roughly 10 minutes and bring to simmer
- In a separate skillet, add linguisa and cook until lightly browned
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup to create a smooth consistency
- Add linguisa, kale and spring onions to pot
- by flashmall" href="#">Continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes
- Salt and pepper to taste