I have to say, it amazes me the stuff my kids will eat… that even I won’t. While I do eat and like meat and fish I’m not what you would call a “meat person”. As in, I’m not slurping down bone marrow and gnawing on turkey drumsticks. Which is interesting because I know a lot of people have that perception of a paleo diet. As someone who grew up eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts I have my meat limits. But I digress… my kids WILL gnaw the meat right off of a turkey or chicken bone. They looove sauerkraut, kombucha (hold your horses.. I don’t let them guzzle bottles of it), and SALMON SKIN! It’s their favorite part. They beg for mine which I happily give them. I know I should be eating it as it’s loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids… but what can I say, I’m a good mom and the kiddos need it for their brain development. Ha. That and it grosses me out.
Anyways, I DO love salmon though. I love how easy it is to prepare and how versatile it is. And it’s perfect to make when you’re having guests over because it seems fancier than it is. This week’s One-Day Sale Item at Whole Foods is Wild Coho Salmon. And while I was thinking of a recipe to come up with for it, someone had just posted a picture of their BLT sandwich onto Instagram, which of course left me craving a BLT sandwich. So, I realized I could to the same with the salmon as the flavors would fit really well together… and guess what? They totally do! I didn’t load up on the bacon and tomato so as not to compete with the salmon.
This is a pretty easy recipe that anyone can make. Want to know the hardest part? Being patient enough not to flip the darn salmon too soon while it’s cooking up in the pan! Seriously people, don’t be an early flipper. It will leave you with a salmon mess in the pan. While it’s cooking, put your feet up, pour some wine, and CHILL. Let the pan do it’s thing. And just like boiling water, staring at it won’t make it cook any faster. It’s just going to make you want to flip it. Resist it. Sip your wine. Chill.
Once the salmon is done you can choose to leave the skin on or off. I think you know my choice. 😉
- 2 lbs salmon
- 1-2 Tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 6-8 pieces of bacon (preferably sugar-free)
- ¼ C. chopped dill
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 6-8 butter lettuce leaves or pieces of flatbread
- Homemade or paleo mayo (such as Sir Kensington's) to taste
- Leaving skin on, slice salmon into fillets approximately ¼ - ⅓ of a lb.
- Season each side with salt and pepper liberally
- In a large skillet heat ghee or butter on medium high heat
- Once ghee or butter and pan are hot place salmon flesh side down into pan and let sit for 6-7 minutes depending on the thickness of your cut, do not touch the salmon prior to 6-7 minutes as it will stick to the pan
- Meanwhile cook bacon slices on medium high until desired crispness
- Flip salmon and cook skin side down for a remaining 3-4 minutes
- Once bacon and salmon are done layer mayo, tomato, salmon and bacon onto butter lettuce or flatbread
- Garnish and top with dill
- Wrap up ingredients and enjoy!