Ok, lemme just get this out there, it took me forever to name these things! Know why? Because I really didn’t want to call them Strawberry Coconut Balls. Or fat bombs. I don’t know why, I just couldn’t. Ok, I lie. I know why. Because my mind is is the gutter but I didn’t want these delicious, soft, pink balls associated with… well any other kind of balls. And something about the term fat bombs sounds gross too. So bon bons it is!
I’ve been seeing all sorts of various paleo
balls bon bons all over the place. Most use dates and are heavy on the nuts. So I wanted to try and create something different since those seem to have been done already. And I wanted to “spring” ’em up. Even better, strawberries are on sale at local Whole Foods today so it was perfect!
I love that these treats are no-bake. It’s more like mix, roll, freeze. My KIDS can even pull that off. Once you roll these *ahem* bon bons into um, balls, pop ’em in the freezer to set. Don’t worry they won’t shrink up or anything! But they need to harden up a bit. You can also stick them in the fridge for a few hours. I prefer to store them in the freezer though and let one (or two or three) sit out and thaw a few minutes before I eat it. My kids like them frozen, so eat them however you prefer.
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- ½ cup of walnuts
- ⅔ C. coconut butter melted / softened
- ⅓ C. honey
- ⅓ C. shredded unsweetened coconut + additional ¼ C. to coat
- ¼ C. ground golden flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ C coconut flour
- Using a fork or food processor smash (or pulse) strawberries until they are in small pieces
- In a food processor or blender pulse walnuts until they create a rough meal
- In a bowl, combine strawberries, walnuts, coconut butter, honey, coconut shreds, flax seed, cinnamon and coconut flour until thoroughly combined
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Form strawberry mixture into balls and lightly coat with additional shredded coconut
- Place strawberry balls on parchment paper
- Freeze for a minimum of 4 hours to set
- Store in freezer and to serve pull out 30 minutes prior to allow to soften slightly