If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, you know I’m a huge fan of cauliflower rice. As evidenced by the Pineapple Fried Cauli Rice HERE, the Cauli Rice Tabouleh I made HERE, and the Cauli Rice Paella I made HERE. See what I’m saying? Now it’s time to bring in the salmon.
While I’ve always grated or processed my own cauli rice, I decided to give Whole Foods Market’s pre grated rice a shot this week and pair it up with some Coho Salmon I picked up for their One Day Sale. I can only speak for myself when I say I always make a mess processing it myself. I’m leaning towards the fact that’s because I’m a hot mess in the kitchen, but regardless it always gets everywhere. So it was refreshing to just be able to open the package and have fresh (not frozen) cauli rice ready for me. And yes, I still made a mess with it, but not nearly as big of one!
I wanted to created something simple yet still flavorful and delicious to pair with the salmon so I went the traditional route of fresh herbs and lemon. Because helloooo, we all know fresh salmon, herbs and lemon are BFFS. And now, you can add cauli rice into their circle of friends. In fact I think they all have matching friendship bracelets now. 😉
And for all you Whole30 fanatics, I’m happy to say this thing is totally compliant for you!
- 4-6 king salmon fillets
- 1 Tbsp ghee at room temp
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- ¼ C. chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped dill + 1 Tsp.
- 8 C. cauliflower rice
- ⅓ C. toasted pine nuts
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 C. chicken broth
- Salt + Lemon pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Coat salmon fillets with ghee
- Salt and pepper fillets generously & coat with 1 Tsp. of the chives and a bit of lemon zest
- Lightly grease a cast iron skillet and place salmon inside. Set aside
- In a medium skillet heat 1 Tbsp. of ghee
- Once oil is hot add chopped onion and cook till tender, salt as needed
- Once onion is tender add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes
- Add additional 1 Tbsp of ghee to pan and add cauliflower rice
- Toss to combine and coat
- Add two cups of chicken broth to pan and raise heat to high
- Continue to cook until broth boils off and rice is tender but not soggy
- Drain additional liquid in necessary
- Once cauli rice is tender add all herbs, lemon zest, juice from ½ lemon and pinenuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss to combine and let sit on low heat for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile Add skillet of salmon to oven and bake for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness of cut
- Pull out and serve salmon over cauliflower rice