This Mother’s Day I decided to create a recipe that kids can actually make for their moms, because honestly what fun is it if you have to make your own Mother’s Day breakfast? Not much. I also wanted it to feel like something a bit more indulgent that felt special for “mom” hence combining chocolate and coffee flavors. What mom isn’t down with some mocha love? Yeah, I don’t know any either. But I do know you’ll love this Grain-Free Mocha Granola wether you’re a mom or not.
This was a perfect project to team up with SF Bay Coffee on because, like I’ve mentioned before, A. We’ve been drinking their coffee for years and love it in our house and B. They’ve actually found a way to sneak into every special “mom” ( i.e. Michelle) occasion around our house. Lemme explain…
While I’m not one to sleep in these days, I do on occasion like to lay in a cozy bed for while before having to get up and at ’em. Check emails, news, IG etc. However, with kids that’s not always a choice. I’m usually up early making lunches, getting kids dressed and inevitably breaking up a very important fight over a Barbie or princess. So every holiday that somehow celebrates good ‘ol me such a my birthday, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, a tradition has evolved to let mom get some extra sleep / alone time in the mornings. Brad makes sure the girls give me some extra peace and quiet and they leave me alone to do what I choose. At some point Brad whips up a Bulletproof-Style Coffee for me and enters with the girls bouncing in excited as can be. It’s the sweetest wake-up call (and probably Brad’s gentle way of saying he’s had enough, lol), it never fails to make me feel special. First, because Brad knows exactly how I like my coffee and second just how excited the girls are to finally get to see me. You’d think I’d been away on a long mom sabbatical or something. Now, it’s just become a “thing” around here that I look forward to, my morning coffee in bed after some alone time.
Which brings me to this amazing Grain-Free Mocha Granola. Like I said, it’s so easy that the kids can actually make it. Depending on how old they are they may need some supervision at the end with the baking portion but other than that it’s measuring and stirring. If your kids are going to be enjoying it too you can either use decaf or feel free to make a portion sans coffee then stir yours in.
As far as the coffee grounds go you can use fresh or already brewed grounds. You’ll get a stringer flavor using the fresh grounds but either will work for you.
And thank you to SF Bay for the “Best Mom” mug! I asked Camryn and T the other day who they thought the best mom they knew was and they both said me, so clearly I’m deserving of it! 😉 (It’s a really good things they answered that!) You can find their collection of Mother’s Day mugs HERE.
Enjoy this and remember… it doubles as a snack too!
Grain-Free Mocha Granola
A grain free chocolate and coffee granola that's paleo friendly.
- 1 C. hazelnuts
- 1 C. slivered almonds
- 1 C. cashew pieces
- 1/2 C. sunflower seed kernels
- 1/2 C. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 C. golden flax seeds
- 1/4 C. cacao nibs
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. SF Bay Coffee grounds
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 C. honey
- 1/4 C. maple syrup
- 1/4 C. coconut oil melted
- Mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300*
- In a small saucepan, heat honey, maple syrup and coconut oil until honey is softened (not hot!)
- Add hazelnuts, almonds, cashew pieces, sunflower seeds, coconut, flax seeds, cacao nibs, cocoa powder, coffee grounds and a pinch of salt to a large bowl
- Gently whisk egg white and add to honey
- Stir to combine
- Add honey mixture to the bowl of granola ingredients and stir thoroughly to coat well
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Spread granola over sheets in an even layer
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Pull out of oven and let cool completely, this is when the granola will crisp up
- Toss in some chocolate chips at the end once granola is cooled (optional)
- Serve with your favorite milk or as a snack
Courses Breakfast / Brunch
Cuisine Paleo / Grain-Free / Gluten-Free